You put your heart into everything you do...
...so it's only natural that you should take care of your heart. Unfortunately, many women tend to overlook the factors that contribute to heart disease - high blood pressure, high cholesterol, smoking, obesity and an inactive lifestyle.
We're committed to supporting women's health causes, for all the women in our lives, by building awareness and spreading the word that heart disease is a major health concern for them. That's why we're proud to partner with The Heart Truth® campaign and the Red Dress.
Why a red dress? The Red Dress® is the national symbol for women and heart disease awareness. It serves as a red alert to convey the message that "Heart Disease Doesn't Care What You Wear—It's the #1 Killer of Women."® So, take time to care about your heart. Get the facts. Know your risks. Become motivated to take action.
- Choose a heart-healthy eating plan rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains and fiber and low in saturated fats.
- Exercise regularly. Commit to 30 minutes of physical activity on most days, for a total of 2 hours and 30 minutes each week.
- Have your blood pressure and cholesterol checked regularly.
- Eat more potassium-rich foods to be heart-healthy. These include potatoes, bananas, beans and yogurt.
- Read Nutrition Facts labels on food items and make healthy choices.
- Limit your intake of sodium. Less sodium will help lower your blood pressure
**Provided by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Health, and The National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute.
Join us in the fight for strong hearts...
Reliable will make a donation during the month of September to the Foundation for the National Institutes of Health (FNIH) to support The Heart Truth® and women's heart health education and research.*
*Participation by Reliable does not imply endorsement by HHS/NIH/NHLBI. ®The Heart Truth, its logo, The Red Dress—and Heart Disease Doesn't Care What You Wear—It's the #1 Killer of Women are registered trademarks of HHS.
Make a Difference...
Shop Pink to Support the Cause
We partner with brands that are also committed to the cause. Simply purchase specially marked pink products from our catalogs and website. A portion of these sales will be donated by the listed suppliers to organizations that are helping to defeat breast cancer.
Pink is the Color of Hope
Every year, over 1,000,000 new cases of breast cancer are diagnosed in the United States. Increasing awareness and taking an active role in prevention will go a long way toward saving women's lives.
We donate to City of Hope, a Comprehensive Cancer Center. Its mission is to enhance each patient's well being, both physically and emotionally, by providing the highest quality breast cancer care.
The odds of surviving breast cancer are going up, but the disease is not going away, so awareness is more important than ever. Early detection is key. So, take the first step today. Learn about your risk factors and what you can do to protect yourself. Find more information at cityofhope.org, bcrfcure.org, nationalbreastcancer.org or breastcancer.org.
Breast Cancer Tips:
- Eat plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. A diet rich in plant-based foods may help decrease the risk of breast cancer.
- Up your antioxidants. Eat more berries, broccoli, kale and other leafy greens; all contain high levels of antioxidants to help prevent cancer.
- Lower your alcohol intake. Limiting the amount of alcohol you drink may help decrease your risk of breast cancer.
- Get screened. Early detection with mammograms, and breast exams by your doctor or self-exams, can help save your life.
- Know your family history. Being aware of your family history could change your doctor's recommendations for screening.